Not giving up


There are times when I'm at my lowest points in my life and spiritual walk when I ask myself, "What more will it take? How much more do I have to give? What is the secret to not giving up and finishing the race?"

I've heard many proposed answers and theories on how to last through and finish strong at the end of the day. I've heard that if you never lose your passion for evangelism, you will never lose your passion in your personal walk. I've heard that if you continue to worship God, it will sustain you. I've heard that you need to be in a place where brothers and sisters in Christ can support you and have an intact covering over you.

But when I think about it, all these are important elements but are they the core of what is important to keep going when everything crashes down around you? If you're like Job and everything is completely stripped away from your life, how would you face it? If you have reached a place of complete disillusionment with life and God, without the ability to evangelise, to sing praises or even give a damn about being in church, what is the answer?

Looking back at the examples in the bible such as Job, Jeremiah and Moses, each reached points of complete disillusionment. But what kept them from giving up? The one thing I noticed was that even when everything stopped making sense, they each had an intimate understanding of the character of God.

They understood that God is the one unchanging and constant entity from the beginning of time; past, present and future. They understood His characteristics and that they could trust Him. The understood these things even in the midst of some of the greatest difficulties anyone in the bible has ever had to go through.

And that was enough.

It wasn't their passion and heart for the people and ministry. It wasn't their lives of worship. It wasn't the people around them that managed to lift them out of their disillusionment. It wasn't the sense of urgency of wanting God to move. It wasn't even their relationships with God (in Job's case, God completely hid himself). And I'm not saying these things are not important, but...

It was from a surrender and complete acknowledgement of who God is that was ultimately and fundamentally critical to them not giving up in their disillusioned states.

The Great I Am.

The Alpha and the Omega.

The King of Kings.

The Lord of Lords.

Maker of heaven and Creator of the earth.

Jehovah.

Yahweh.


0 comments: